Wednesday, 12 August 2015

Travel // California (San Fran, LA + San Diego)

 Last April, in the middle of his eight week stint across the States, Australia and Japan, James managed to twist my arm (not that it needed that much of a twist) and booked a (seriously) last-minute plane seat to get my bum across the pond to California! Finding out my flight details two days prior to boarding was the ultimate test for my anxious 'like-to-know-what's-going-on' mind, but in retrospect, it's reassuring to know that I don't need months of planning and prior-knowledge to travel across the globe.  Somehow, I managed to abate the jet lag just enough to keep up with the whirlwind which was travelling with the band, on a tour bus, down the West Coast. 5 cities in 6 days... here's a few of my favourite snapshots from the first few days...
First stop was the Roxy, LA. Whilst the boy's hectic schedule did mean that there was less time to really explore each City, having the bus parked right outside the venue on Sunset Strip each ensured we were situated in the best spot to check out LA's legendary hangouts, including the Rainbow Club, Whiskey A Go Go, and The Viper Room, the famous Johnny Depp nightclub where River Phoenix sadly died of an overdose :(. It was an absolute dream... and completely, 100% surreal after spending my teenage years reading many a debauched autobiography tale. 
Hidden away off the main road we came across this gem, which stocked the most incredible first-editions (Dickens & Shakespeare's first folios), signed screenplays (A Clockwork Orange), against a wall dedicated to photographs of celebrities which have visited... apparently Depp has purchased quite the collection over the years. Needless to say, I would have had to sell my car to buy anything in there (or steal + sell 10 cars for some), but it was a pleasure to have a browse around and get my hands on some literary wonders. 
The rest of the day was pretty manic (for the boys) and interesting (for me), with their soundcheck filmed for a TV interview, and a super quick acoustic session for Free People, minutes before they played to a packed out Roxy. All which I tried to enjoy whilst fighting the heaviest of jet-lagged eyes. 

When we eventually got back to our bunks for a few hours kip, the bus travelled overnight to San Diago... where I apparently took hardly any pictures except these two from The Cashbah's beer garden and a beautifully-tasseled Mexican restaurant. Good job, Lauren. Not your usual transatlantic tourist trip, but one of those amazing, memory-making weeks that have more than wet the appetite for more West Coast adventures! I'll get part two (Hollywood & more LA) and part three (Coachella) up soon! 

SHARE:
© novella afterglow. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig