Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Spring Beauty Haul: Bright & Peachy

spring_makeup_haul_wishlist_1

Welcome to my first, ever beauty post! I'm a complete newbie to this beauty business. I absolutely love reading tips and recommendations on beauty blogs & magazines and trying to emulate that flawless, perfection that seems to grace all y'all faces, but I'm ashamed to say it's just not my forte. Half of it (okay, 99% of it) is just pure laziness, I ought to dedicate some time to trying out different things and perfecting my cat-eye flick instead of sticking with my go-to look and badly executed eyeliner. I was hoping that when I became a grown-up I would just wake up one day with the inherent ability to make myself look like a goddess. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to the case. However, a girl can try & I'm hoping to incite my new relationship with make-up by topping up my bag with spring items! So without further ado, I thought I'd share items from my recent Spring beauty haul...

ONE: It's already a universal favourite but there really is no better time of year to bust out Benefit's high beam complexion enhancer, than now. I always layer a light dusting of powder over my foundation (mac's studio fix fluid, FYI) to keep everything in place throughout the day, so I like to add a teeny bit of this highlighter to stop my face from looking too matte. You only need a little dap on the areas that you want to accentuate to create a lovely, youthful, ethereal kinda glow. As I have exceptionally pale skin, I find that the soft pink tint is flattering rather than jarring, and furthermore, as it's shimmery and not glittery, it's the perfect daily, complexion enhancer!

TWO: Eye shadow is usually something I'd save for a night out but I just love the delicate colours in this NARS trio eyeshadow palette in Ramatuelle. I first turned my attention to this brand after reading the lovely, Hannah's review of their Sheer Glow Foundation over on Cagney & Lace. Containing three harmonising shades; a brightening base colour, a peachy colour pop and a silvery-grey - which will be great for adding a slightly edgier, space-age vibe (what would Bowie do?) for summer nights! As I mentioned before, I am by no means a makeup artist pro but even I managed to blend these shades nicely and the shadow seemed to last all day! Just what you want for humid, summer days!

THREE: I think I'm ready. It's been a struggle and took a monumental amount of will power but I think it's time I ditched my classic go-to red lippy and dabble in a bit of spring, pink loving. I've always been a bit cautious when it comes to pink, again it's the curse of super pale skin, but I'm hoping these Topshop shades change that. First up is 'Whimsical', an almost nude, peachy, pink shade that goes particularly well with paler skin tones & natural-coloured palettes. I'll mostly be using this colour  in the daytime, though I imagine it'll looks equally as amazing, complimenting a sixties style heavy eye/pale lip look! The second shade I went for is 'Ditsy', Topshop's hot coral offering. Bright enough to make an impact, this will look great with a simple tee and denim shorts. The only thing I'd say is that with all Topshop matte shades, a little pre-prep is needed and I usually have to keep applying balm before I wear it to make sure my lips are moisturised or it just doesn't apply well at all. That said, a bit of extra moisturisation never hurt anybody so it wouldn't put me off!

FOUR: Until recently I had been using Benefit's Posie Tint; a vibrant, pink cheek stain. However, for spring, I wanted a smoother, creamier blush so I decided to try Maybelline's Dream Mouse Blush in Peach Satin (20). I've been using it for about a week now and  I think I prefer it! It blends really nicely into the skin, and is quite subtle to begin with, allowing you to build it up to your preferred amount of flush!

FIVE:  I always get excited about new nail shades, especially spring time tones. I haven't actually bought either of these yet but this year I'm thinking of swapping my usual mint colour for a darker, more muted green  and I love this 'Two Finger Salute' shade by Butter London. Whilst I'm on a peach-drive, I thought it would be rude to not invest in the cheekily named, 'Orgasm' shimmer nail polish from NARS.

SIX: As I'm updating my make-up collection, it's only right that my make-up bag gets a brand new look too. I adore the nod to this season's neon trend with this tangerine bag from Topshop. Cute, bright & tropical... now where's my beach holiday at?

Have you tried any of these products, what did you think? What other spring beauty essentials are you stocking up on this year?

Also, let me know what you think of my first beauty post? Eee, I promise I won't cry at constructive criticism... for long ;)

Much love,
L x
SHARE:
© novella afterglow. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig